Study Abroad

HOME >  Study Abroad  >  FAQ


Q : I am interested in studying abroad, but I’m not confident whether I can be successful or not.

A : At the University of Fukui, we provide a short-term overseas training programs with a wide variety of travel destinations, study contents and study periods. Up to now, many of our students have studied abroad, from 1st year undergraduates to doctoral students, so you should be able to find a study abroad program that suits you. Firstly, in order to clarify what kind of overseas study you are interested in, start gathering related information. Students can also have an individual consultation at any time with a coordinator having experience of study abroad at the International Affairs Division.

Q : I have never been overseas before. Will it be still OK that I participate in studying abroad?

A : Many of UF students studying abroad had never been overseas. Starting with how to apply for a passport, we will support your trip by communicating sufficient information required for studying abroad. There are substantial orientation sessions beforehand, so students can participate with confidence even if it is their first trip overseas.

Q : Is the experience of studying abroad an advantage on job hunting?

A : Rather than just being able to say, “I have studied abroad” or “I studied abroad long-term”, what activities you were involved in while studying overseas and what you have learned from the experience are more important. Students should think of studying abroad as an opportunity to acquire abilities in which they are lacking and enhance the ability with which they are confident. Therefore, even if it is only for short-term, students should be able to make an impression when job hunting by communicating what they learned and how they developed themselves through this experience.

Q : If I study abroad, can I receive course credits?

A : When participating in the short-term overseas training program run by the University of Fukui, usually 1 to 2 course credits will be given. The number of course credits depends on the program, and the subject will vary according to the faculty or graduate school, so check the Short-term Programs page for details.
In the case of the exchange programs to our partner universities or through UMAP-USCO, credits earned at the host institution can be converted to credits at the home institution. At the University of Fukui, this procedure is carried out when students are coming back home, but you should check carefully in advance regarding the courses taken at the host university that can be converted into subjects at the University of Fukui.

Q : How much does it cost to study abroad?

A : This will depend greatly on the destination, study contents and duration, but expected costs are as follows:

  • Passport application fee
  • Visa application fee (where necessary)
  • Round-trip airfare
  • Overseas travel insurance
  • Tuition fees, materials fees, field trip fees, conference registration fees, etc.(depending on the program contents)
  •  Living expenses (food, transport, entertainment costs, etc.)

In the case of exchange programs based on academic exchange agreements or through UMAP-USCO, tuition fees at the host university are waived. In our university’s short-term overseas training program, too, in some of the programs the tuition fees are waived.
As a rule of thumb, it costs about ¥120,000 to ¥150,000 / 2 weeks for a short-term overseas training program in Asian region, around ¥500,000 / month for a short-term overseas training program in Oceania and North America (e.g. language learning program), and around ¥1,500,000 / year for the exchange program in the Europe and US regions.
As soon as the desire to study abroad and the contents have firmed up, having checked the costs as soon as possible, students should also consult with their parents where necessary and progress their preparations.

Q : If I study abroad through the University of Fukui, can I receive a scholarship?

A : If all conditions are met, students may receive a scholarship. Detailed information should be checked from here.

Q : Is language ability required to be able to study abroad?

A : For the exchange programs, depending on the study destination, certain level of language ability may be required when applying. This is because students will take courses with local students while living overseas long-term, so it is important to have sufficient language ability. In the case of English, students must take TOEFL or IELTS exams. TOEIC may not be acceptable as evidence of required language ability when applying to the study destination.
In the case of the short-term overseas training program, training courses with a required level of language ability as a prerequisite for application are limited, but wherever the study destination is, students will need to use English and the local language, so it is important for students to improve their language ability as much as possible before their departure. Refer to the language proficiency tests listed below.

Scores are expected to be submitted for the University of Fukui short-term overseas training program and when applying for various scholarships.
This is a test to determine English ability for students wanting to study abroad in universities or graduate schools in English-speaking countries (mainly the USA and Canada). Students planning to study abroad long-term, are required to meet the score expected by the host university when applying.
This is a paper-based TOEFL group test. The score can be used for exchange programs or when applying for short-term overseas training programs recruited for at the university.
This is a test to determine English ability for students wanting to study abroad in universities or graduate schools in English-speaking countries (mainly the UK and Oceania). Students planning to study abroad long-term, are required to meet the score expected by the host university when applying.

This is a test to determine German ability for students wanting to study abroad mainly in German universities. It is recognized as proof of the required language ability to enter any higher education institute within Germany.

This is a French certification exam accredited by French Ministry of National Education. It is widely approved, for example, if students obtain DALF C1, then they are exempt from the French language ability evaluation test required to be taken to enter undergraduate studies at French universities.

This is the required official Chinese government test to determine Chinese language ability when studying in Chinese universities or graduate schools. Students may also be expected to submit a score as a reference when participating in short-term overseas training programs.

Q : Is a credit card required while studying abroad?

A : It is not usual overseas that people carry a large amount of cash and using credit cards is popular at many of studying abroad destinations we offer, so it may be a good idea to take the opportunity to get a credit card. In case that you get your cash stolen, a credit card can be alternative method to pay for things during the stay overseas.

Q : How much local currency should I take with me?

A : The amount of money students will need varies with the destination and duration of their stay, but for short-term study abroad, it is usually enough if you have the equivalent of around \50,000 to \100,000 in local currency. You may need some local currency as soon as you arrive at the destination, so we recommend students to change some money prior to travel at the nearest bank (*) or at the airport on departure. However, generally, the exchange rate for currencies other than the US dollar is often better locally than in Japan.
* Depending on the financial institution, the currencies that they handle for exchange and the purchasing method (ordering in advance may be required) are different, so you should check with plenty of time before traveling.

Q : Should I take a PC with me?

A : For short-term study abroad, unless particularly told otherwise by the host institution, a PC would not particularly be necessary. Depending on the program, there will be opportunities to use computers such as reporting results, but in many cases PCs can be borrowed from the host institution.
For long-term study abroad, it is essential to have a PC for various procedures and writing reports. Depending on the local power outlet type, a converter plug may be required, so students should check in advance. Regards the voltage, if the AC adapter input part for equipment is 100V-240V or more, then this can be used worldwide without a transformer.
As it is fragile, it should be taken onto a plane as carry-on baggage.

Q : What kinds of questions will I be asked at immigration?

A : You will be asked simple questions about the purpose of your visit and the place and duration of your stay. Students should practice answering smoothly in advance, for example, “to study in English” and “One month”. In addition, as well as a passport, students may be required to present a visa (where necessary) and return flight E-ticket, so keep these in an easily accessible place.

Q : Recently, there have been many incidents and accidents around the world. Is it safe to go overseas?

A : Various incidents and accidents happen in Japan, and similarly the study destination will not be perfectly safe. Also, there are many countries with a higher crime rate than Japan, and trouble may occur in an environment with different culture and customs. For that reason, students should raise their awareness of crisis management at the pre-departure orientation to prevent problems. Also, through travel insurance cover and confirming emergency contact information in advance, fast and appropriate support can be provided quickly in case of an emergency. As a rule one should protect one’s self, but to enable study abroad safely, the university also provides maximum support, so students should check relevant information introduced at the pre-departure orientation themselves. In addition, if the local situation at the destination suddenly deteriorates or a large scale natural disaster occurs, the University of Fukui will prioritize students’ safety and may decide to cancel the program and instruct all the students to come back home immediately. Students should be well aware of this fact when deciding to participate in studying abroad programs offered by the University of Fukui and follow our instruction in case of emergency.