Study @ UF

HOME >  Study @ UF  >  FAQ


Study at University of Fukui

What can I study at University of Fukui (UF)?

UF comprises four schools: the School of Education, the School of Medical Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of Global and Community Studies.

At the graduate level, UF offers the Graduate School of Education, the United Graduate School of Professional Development of Teachers, the Graduate School of Medical Sciences, the Graduate School of Engineering, and the Professional Graduate School of Global and Community Management.

In addition to regular degree programs, the Graduate of School Engineering provides two types of master’s and doctoral degree programs in English:
Global Engineering Program for International Students (GEPIS)
Global Engineering Program for Research and Development (GEP for R&D)

Where can I find more information about the faculty?

How can I apply to UF?

For information of our admissions process, please visit our admissions page.


Before coming to Japan

What should I do to apply for the Visa?

Based on Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act by the Ministry of Justice to study in Japan, international students should have a valid passport issued by the government of their home country with a valid visa issued by Japanese government.

You need the Study Visa to study at UF. You need the Certificate of Eligibility(CoE)issued by Japanese immigration control to apply for the visa. For more information about the application process / required documents, please check with Japanese Embassies or consulates in your home country.

Info: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs HP

What is the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)? How do I obtain it?

CoE is a document issued by Immigration Services Agency of Japan, and it’s required when applying for the Study Visa. After an international student confirms their enrollment at UF, the UF International Affairs Division (IAD) applies for their CoE on their behalf. Once it’s received, the UF IAD sends it to the student overseas. For more information about CoE, please visit the following page.

What should I know about bringing medications into Japan?

To bring more than a month’s supply of medication into Japan, you need to provide the 輸入確認証 (Yunyu kakunin-sho) to the customs when you arrive at the airport. To apply for the 輸入確認証, you need to send the required documents in advance to Kanto-Shinetsu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare or Kinki Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare. For more information, please visit the following websites.

If you’re currently taking a medication and will need the prescription to be filled while you’re in Japan, we strongly encourage you to bring a valid prescription or doctor’s note written in Japanese or English.

How much does it cost to study at UF?

Enrollment fee(1 time)\282,000
Tuition(an year)\535,800
Although the living expenses are different by their own life-style, the survey of JASSO says
that about \89,000 is taken for life expenses for a month.
(The guidelines are available in English, Chinese, Korean, Indonesian, Thai, Arabic, French, Spanish, Russian, and Vietnamese)


After arriving at Japan

How do I get to UF after arriving at the airport?

For information of how to get to UF from Japan’s major international airports, please see our transportation guide.

What do I do at the city hall?

・Taking out the National Health Insurance
Students staying in Japan for more than 3 months must have the National Health Insurance. The insurance covers 70% of your medical expenses when you get a treatment at a hospital.
・Apply for the national pension or an exemption
People who live in Japan, aged 20 to 60, must take out the national pension.
Students who are older than 20 years and difficult to pay the insurance because of a limited income can be given a postponement and an exemption of the insurance after applying for「学生納付特例制度」(National Pension Contribution Exemption) ・「保険料免除・納付猶予制度」(Payment Postponement)at the city hall.
・A moving-in and moving-out notification
You need to submit the “moving-in notification” when you move into Fukui-city from
other country or prefecture, and submit the “moving-out notification” when you leave Fukui.
・A notification of change of address
You must submit the “Notification of a change of address” to the city hall when you change your address. When you submit the notification, your new address is printed on the back side of your residence card.


How can I open a bank account?

For exchange students we will explain how to set up a bank account during the new student orientation. For degree seeking students, we don’t designate any bank account except for students who living in the dormitory. Please set up a bank account by yourselves at a bank. You need a Japanese address to open a bank account. Please bring your passport, residence card, residence certificate (you can get from the city hall), and hanko (official name stamp).


What types insurances should I take out while studying at UF?

・National Health Insurance(REQUIRED)
All international students must take out National Health Insurance.
You should take out it in the city hall. Exchange students will take out it during the new student orientation. Degree seeking students should take out it by themselves to a city hall.
・Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (PAS)
Liability Insurance coupled with PAS (REQUIRED)
All UF students must take out this insurance.
This insurance applies to activities at UF (lecture, experiment and training, extracurricular activities and events <internship, volunteer work etc>), disaster at the university, accident on the way to the university.
・Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “GAKKENSAI” for International Students (“Inbound futai-gakuso”)(REQUIRED for the students living in dormitories)
Students who live in dormitories of UF must take out this insurance. We also strongly recommend it for students who live in apartments.
This insurance is only for students who take out “GAKKENSAI” (PAS), and it covers widely, liability for damage, injury and disease, an expense of a relief party, death and aftereffects trouble.
・Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan (CRI)
CRI is a combination of overseas travel insurance and guarantors’ protection fund. When you apply for a joint surety at IAD, you must take out this insurance.


While staying in Japan

What scholarships are available for international students?

For information about scholarship, please visit the following link.
We are going to notice to you about a start of applying for private scholarship by e-mail.


My residence card will expire soon. What should I do?

You may renew your residence card as early as three months prior to the expiration date. Please be aware of the expiration date on your residence card and contact the UF IAD before it expires.

I’m going back home for a few weeks during the school holidays. Is there anything I should do before I leave?

Please come to fill out the Temporary Leave and Re-entry Notification at the UF IAD, and also submit the Temporary Leave Notification for Traveling Abroad to the Student Affairs Division.


What should I do when starting a part-time job?

Please contact IAD before starting a part-time job. We give you the necessary documents are explain the application process./


When and how should I pay for the tuition?

Please visit the following link for details of tuition. (Only Japanese)


How should I apply for an entrance fee and tuition exemption?

Please visit the following link for details of various exemptions. (Only Japanese)


Student life


Can I occupy a dormitory of the university ?

Please visit the following link below for details of dormitories.

How should I find an apartment?


Where can I talk or consult when I have a trouble?

We have some services where you can have a talk or consultation to have great campus life when you have a trouble. Please confirm the link below for more details.


What should I do when you get sick or injured?

The doctors, nurses, and a health nurse accept your consultation of your sick or injury, and take emergency measures in Health Administration Center.
(8:30~17:15 on weekdays)


Can I borrow a bicycle?

There is a bike rental service called “Fuku-Chari”, in Fukui-city.


Before leaving Japan

I’ll be completing my program this semester and leaving Fukui after that. Is there anything I must do before I leave?

There’re several important processes all international students must complete prior to their departure, such as vacating the residence, canceling the utility services, disposing of used items, paperwork at the city hall, and closing the bank account.

Every semester, the UF IAD provides an orientation for departing international students where the staff explains about the processes in detail.

What should I do to dispose of large items (furniture, home appliances, bicycles, etc.) which I no longer use?

To dispose of large items, we encourage you to check with your local municipality and follow their specific guidelines, as processes vary depending on where you live.

In Fukui-city, you have to bring your items to the designated collection sites. You may request a pick up, but there will be fees for that.


After graduation / completion

How should I order my transcript?

Please visit the following link below when you would like to be issued certification after graduation and completion. (Only Japanese)

I want to work in Japan after graduation. Is there any support available at UF?

To learn about the career support available at UF, please contact Career Support Division.

Additionally, the UF IAD sends out newsletters about upcoming job fairs for international students.